The slow-cooker is a working mom’s (or dad’s) best friend. When you wake in the morning in a hurry to get the kids off to school and you off to work, the last thing you want to think about is coming home after a long, hard day at work just to slave some more over a hot stove. With a slow cooker, this is no longer an issue. In the morning, quickly prepare the ingredients, toss them in the crockpot, set the heat setting and that’s all there is to it! Go to work and then return home after a long, hard day to have dinner waiting for you, for once! There are so many wonderful recipes you can make using a slow-cooker, this Vegetarian Chili is one of those delicious recipes.
Ingredients 0(6 Servings)
- Can diced tomatoes 28 oz can 1 unit
- Vegetable broth Reduced-sodium version recommended 4 cups
- Can black beans Rinsed and drained 15 ozs
- Can white (cannellini) beans Rinsed and drained 15 ozs
- Can red kidney beans Rinsed and drained 15 ozs
- Frozen baby lima beans Or regular lima beans 1 cup
- White onion Chopped 1 cup
- Minced pickled jalapeno 1 tbsp
- Green bell pepper Seeded and chopped 1 medium
- Cloves garlic Minced 2 medium
- Chili powder 2 tbsps
- Dried Mexican oregnao Or regular oregano 2 tbsps
- Ground cumin 2 tsps
- Ground coriander 2 tsps
- Hot sauce 1-2 tsp 2 tsps
- Couscous 1/3 cup
- Monterey Jack cheese Shredded 1/2 cup
- Fresh cilantro leaves Chopped 1/3 cup
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place all of the ingredients, except for the couscous, shredded cheese, cilantro, and salt & pepper, in the slow cooker in the order listed. Gently stir to combine well.
- Cover slow cooker and cook chili on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or if you need it sooner, you may also cook the chili on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- About 5 to 10 minutes before it is time to serve the chili, add the couscous and replace cover. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until couscous in tender. Season the chili with salt and pepper, to taste.
- When ready to serve, spoon into serving bowls and garnish with shredded cheese and chopped cilantro.